Tuesday, February 07, 2006

Randi needs our prayers

JREF reports that
James Randi underwent bypass surgery last Thursday. He is currently in stable condition. He is receiving excellent care, but will need quiet time to recover. We will release more information as it becomes available, and we ask everyone to please respect the family's wishes for privacy at this time.

This might sound callous and bizzare but I was thinking of taking the opportunity to test the efficacy of prayer by going through each page of my Encylopedia of Gods and praying to each and every deity therein for the speedy demise of Randi. Some religionists will be scandalized, some will think I've gone bonkers, still others among their ilk will urge me to go on and will even pray with me (I see in my crystal ball the name Yuri or Oori or Fury), while others will just roll their eyes and shake their heads. Any skeptics with me on this?



Seriously though, one of the first things that popped into my head was Dylan Thomas' cry:
Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Trusting the doctors and medical science will have Randi up and about in no time.

4 comments:

Bronze Dog said...

I'm tempted to try and psychically heal Randi like I did of Derek of Skepticality... Well, I did have a LOT of help from some doctors and nurses with very sexy, wrinkly brains. Kind of like how Uri Geller's psychic powers have a LOT of help from the muscles in his hands.

erebusnyx said...

What exactly did Derek have? A stroke or something? From how he sounds lately he must still be recovering. Hope he bounces back soon.

By the way, everyone tune in to the next Point of Inquiry podcast. They're having Darwin's Rottweiler himself--Richard Dawkins! Wonder if he's going to talk about Root of All Evil.

Bronze Dog said...

I think Derek had an aneurysm or something that sounds like that. He seems to have recovered well enough to do some podcasts.

Don't know if it's just a false perception on my part, but he sometimes gets his tongue tied on single words.

Danny Boy, FCD said...

If you listened to the Point of Inquiry podcast with Richard Dawkins, the 2nd half of the show featured Derek and Swoopy of Skepticality. They revealed there the nature of Derek's brush with the Grim Reaper.